Latitude 66 Cobalt Oy is looking for a junior geologist for 4-6 week fixed-term contract, August-September 2018.
Latitude 66 Cobalt Oy (Lat66) is a mineral resource exploration and mining development company with a focus for cobalt in northeastern Finland. Latitude has a vision to be the major producer of cobalt for the Finnish and European market, while being industry leaders in the commitment to environmental preservation.
We are currently seeking a field-based Junior Geologist to work as part of Lat66’s exploration team for the duration of our summer 2018 diamond core drilling program at our K Camp project. The placement is for the entirety of the drilling program, from set-up to pack-up. Details of the duties and responsibilities are presented below. The duration of the program is subject to change therefore the applicant must be flexible in their availability. All applicants must be Finnish citizens that have an excellent level of verbal and written Finnish and English.
Reporting to the Chief Geologist, your key responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- All components of drill core processing and data collection; metre marking, verifying drilling quality, orienting core, taking geological/geotechnical measurements, core cutting/sampling.
- Manual handling (moving core trays, setting up core racks etc.).
- Computer-based data entry.
- Ensuring clear communication between Exploration management and drilling contractors.
- Rehabilitation and site clean-up of new and historic drilling activity.
The successful candidate will possess:
- BSc Geology degree, with good understanding of key geological principles
- A strong work ethic and a keen interest in the exploration and mining industry
- Flexibility in their availability during the month/s of activity (the program may extend into September)
- A respectful nature, with an appreciation for the natural environment and communities local to our projects
- Excellent verbal and written Finnish and English
- A strong commitment to providing a safe working environment
- Competence with Microsoft Excel & Word
- Finnish manual driving license & citizenship
- A comfort with basic accommodation and working outdoors in the full range of conditions
It would be advantageous for the candidate to possess:
- Experience in the mineral exploration and/or mining industry, particularly with drill rigs
- Diamond core processing experience
- Experience in driving vehicles off-road, in snow and wet conditions
- Availability for future campaign-based or casual/part-time geological assistance work
- A current first-aid certification
If you have the above attributes then please forward your CV, academic record, and a brief cover letter to: