6-12 week fixed-term contract, May-July 2019
Latitude 66 Cobalt Oy (Lat66) is a mineral resource exploration and mining development company with a focus for cobalt-gold deposits in the Kuusamo Schist Belt of northeastern Finland. Lat66 has a vision to be the major producer of cobalt for the Finnish and European market, while being industry leaders in the commitment to environmental preservation.
We are currently seeking field-based personnel for the role of Junior Geologist to work as part of Lat66’s exploration team for the duration of our Summer 2019 diamond core drilling program at our Kuusamo-Posio cobalt-gold project. We are offering placements lasting from between 6 and 12 weeks starting in mid May 2019. Details of the duties and responsibilities are presented below. The duration of the program is subject to change therefore the applicant should be flexible in their availability.
Reporting to the Chief Geologist, your key responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- All components of drill core processing and data collection; core recovery, orienting core, metre marking, verifying drilling quality, taking geological/geotechnical measurements, core cutting/sampling.
- Manual handling (moving core trays, setting up core racks etc.).
- Computer-based data entry.
- Ensuring clear communication between Exploration management and drilling contractors.
- Assisting with rehabilitation and site clean-up of new and historic drilling activity.
The successful candidate will possess:
- BSc Geology degree, with good understanding of key geological principles
- A strong work ethic and a keen interest in the exploration and mining industry
- A respectful nature, with an appreciation for the natural environment and communities local to our projects
- Excellent verbal and written English
- A strong commitment to providing a safe working environment
- Competence with Microsoft Excel & Word
- Manual driving license & citizenship
- A comfort with basic accommodation and working outdoors in the full range of conditions
It would be advantageous for the candidate to possess:
- Finnish citizenship and competence in Finnish language
- Experience in the mineral exploration and/or mining industry, particularly with drill rigs or core sample cutting/preparation
- Diamond drill core processing experience
- Experience in driving vehicles off-road, in snow and wet conditions
- Flexibility in their availability during the month/s of activity
- Availability for future campaign-based or casual/part-time geological assistance work
- A current first-aid certification
If you have the above attributes then please forward your CV, academic record, and a brief introductory cover letter to: